Whatsapp is certainly one of the most used applications on the smartphone and it is not necessary to get hold of numbers or statistics officers to realize it.
The platform for exchange free messages has evolved over the years thanks to the inclusion of useful features (including the one for transfer WhatsApp chats from Android to iPhone ) and the options for protect the WhatsApp account have increased in parallel from prying eyes. Always remaining on the subject of confidentiality, we suggest you read our guide on how to archive WhatsApp chats .
If the end-to-end encryption of the popular instant messaging app, introduced way back in 2016, prevents user conversations are intercepted by third parties, some native app settings allow instead to improve the WhatsApp profile , especially in a situation where the platform is used on a daily basis around the world.
In this guide we will therefore explain how improve privacy on WhatsApp through some functions available on the app for Android and iOS. Thanks to these settings, you will be able to protect the WhatsApp profile preventing unknown contacts from accessing information that you do not want to share with third parties or that could simply compromise your privacy.
Improve WhatsApp privacy: iPhone and Android
To make the profile WhatsApp safer we will have to manually intervene on the individual options in the “ Privacy
- Android : from the main screen of WhatsApp , click on the three dots at the top right and, in the drop-down menu, tap on “ Settings “. From here you will have to select the “ Account section “(third item) and then” Privacy “.
- iPhone : From the main application screen, touch the icon “ Settings “shown in the bar at the bottom (last icon after” Chat “) and, in the next screen, first select the item” Account “(third option) and then” Privacy “.
Hide last access on WhatsApp
Each user has the possibility to hide the last access on WhatsApp , avoiding that information on the date and time of the last access to the application is shown within the individual chats. Alternatively, you can show this entry only to your contacts, or on the contrary, extend it to anyone.
To hide the last access on WhatsApp you will need to enter the section Privacy following the path we have reported above. The reference setting is “ Last accessed “: by clicking on it, four different items will appear that will allow you to change the operation of the option:
- All : by selecting this item, any user WhatsApp will be able to view information on the date and time of the last access to the app
- My contacts: only the contacts of WhatsApp will be able to view the last access
- My contacts, except … : this is a sort of “median” setting, as you can decide to enable all your counts tti to display the last access, except for some specific contacts. By clicking on it, a screen will open in which you can select one or more contacts that you want to exclude from the list
- None : no contact will be able to view the last access to the app. Attention, because in this way, you too will not be able to see the last access of other users.
However, there are some tricks for chat undisturbed on WhatsApp , taking advantage of the previews of the messages that are shown on the main screen of the smartphone. Just reply from there, without opening the app, to avoid letting people know you are online on WhatsApp .
For respond to notifications on WhatsApp without opening the app it will be necessary to activate drop-down notifications from the phone settings. On Android, find the “notifications” section and enable the item “ Show all notifications “.
Hide WhatsApp profile picture
The section Privacy also allows you to hide the WhatsApp profile picture . Also in this case the option must be calibrated according to your needs and can be useful because it prevents users from viewing and saving their personal profile picture, especially in the case of strangers.
Entering the section “ Privacy “, click on the item” Profile picture “and choose one of the following options:
- Everyone : each user will be able to view and save their profile picture
- My contacts : i only WhatsApp contacts will be able to see your profile picture
- My contacts, except … : it will be possible to exclude certain contacts from the list of subjects authorized to view the image
- None : no user will be able to view and download the profile picture
Hide Info and WhatsApp Status
To improve privacy on WhatsApp you can also act on settings such as “ Info “(i.e. the phrase or description that appears under the account name) and” Status “(these are updates in full Facebook or Instagram style containing photos, videos, phrases and links that WhatsApp contacts will be able to view).
In the first case, you can remove the WhatsApp information so that no user can view them, or enable them to be viewed for all contacts or excluding some.
As regards instead the states of WhatsApp , there are three options to draw from:
- My contacts : all c ontatti WhatsApp will be able to view status updates
- My contacts except … : certain contacts can be excluded from the status display
- Share only with … : only some selected contacts will be able to see WhatsApp Status updates
How to prevent being added to WhatsApp groups
Also very important is the option dedicated to WhatsApp groups . Conversations with multiple users are more and more frequent within the instant messaging platform and the developers have introduced three specific functions to prevent being added to WhatsApp groups .
Again from the Privacy section, just tap on the item “ Groups ” and choose one of the following three items:
- All: each user can add you to a group
- My contacts : only contacts will be able to add you to groups
- My contacts except … : certain contacts can be excluded, since the latter cannot add you to chats c or more participants
Enable two-factor authentication on Whatsapp
The two-step verification is a feature that allows you to improve privacy on WhatsApp , adding a third level of security and preventing unauthorized persons from accessing the account using only the telephone number.
By activating two-step verification, you will need to have a six-digit PIN code chosen by the same user to be able to enter the account, as well as the telephone number of course. In the absence of a PIN, it will not be possible to use WhatsApp .
For activate two-step verification on WhatsApp you will need to enter the application settings, select the item “ Account “and click on” Two-Step Verification “, by entering the six-digit PIN. The procedure will ask you to enter an email address, which will be very useful for regaining access to the account in case of loss of the PIN code .
How to block WhatsApp users
Sometimes it can happen to to receive spam messages on WhatsApp or not wanting to receive messages by certain users. The instant messaging application has provided a function that allows you to block WhatsApp users . Again, just enter the “Privacy” section and click on “ Blocked “: a list of WhatsApp contacts
With the option “ Block “active, the platform will inhibit the reception of messages, calls, video calls by the blocked user. The latter will not receive any notification related to the block and will therefore be able to call you and send messages, which will have a single gray tick.
Turn on screen lock on WhatsApp
It is advisable to set an authentication method for unblock WhatsApp , such as Face ID or Touch ID on iPhone, or fingerprint reader on Android smartphones.
To activate the screen lock on WhatsApp just enter the “Privacy” section and click on “ Screen lock “(last item in the list), then checking the authentication method provided on the smartphone. From the configuration screen it will be possible to choose whether to show the contents of the notifications .
How to disable the blue WhatsApp ticks
We close this guide by explaining how disable the blue ticks on WhatsApp . As is known, in fact, the instant messaging app provides a mechanism of “ ticks “to report the correct sending (a tick) and the reception of the messages exchanged within a chat (two ticks).
If the ticks are colored blue , it means that the recipient has read the message .
If you want to prevent your contacts from being informed that a message has been read WhatsApp , you can always remove this option in the “Privacy” section and disable the ‘option “ Read acknowledgments “.